Wednesday 9 October 2013

You Buy, You Get Rid-Simples!

Your guide to sorting through your over-flowing wardrobe in a simple and calm way.

We all do it. We all go out shopping and buy another pair of black jeans, another handbag, knowing full well that the three we already have are perfectly fine and we don't really need the new purchase! But, maybe you're like me, I love to shop and that lovely feeling of 'Oh but this pair is just a little bit different from my other pair and would look fab with those shoes!' The only problem with this is that our wardrobe space gets more cluttered and things get moved to the bottom of the drawer and forgotten!

If I didn't do the following, my wardrobe would be as big as a small warehouse and I wouldn't ever wear the same thing....well shouldn't, because I have plenty to even change my outfit 5 times a day with more clothes to spare. We never wear everything in our wardrobe. It's only when we have a big clear out every 3 years, or when we move house, that we find 'oooh that top, and oh, I remember that skirt!'

To rectify this on-going palava just follow my helpful tip and you'll be on your way to a beautifully spaced out wardrobe - able to find exactly what you want to wear in no time. I also find that doing this makes us look after our clothes better; we fold them more neatly, hang them up as soon as we take them off, colour co-ordinate etc. The rule is..... less is more. I have another blog coming soon that tells you what your key pieces should be, so soon you'll definitely have a gorgeous wardrobe filled with clothes you love and more importantly take care of and wear! Now here's the science bit....

For every new piece of clothing or accessory you purchase (unless you're swapping that is!) you get rid of the equivalent. De-clutter in a simple, pain free and slow way.

The decision is made usually in the first three seconds so don't be scared, be ruthless. We just have so many things in our wardrobe we don't wear. We think, 'Oh but I will wear it, want to but..but...but....' and so it stays there, hidden, alone, sad, gone to waste! If you haven't said YES to the item within 3 seconds of picking it up, it's for the no pile. Golly, I told you I was ruthless!

Now there are actually two 'no' piles so don't worry! One 'no' is a real 'no'! The second 'no' pile is a 'I think I am a bit attached and really unsure so I will save and hold it.' Go away, have a cup of tea or a whatever, come back and then decide.

A really good tip to remember when you are throwing out, donating or selling your clothes, and the fear hits that you might miss them or wish you hadn't (which is why we hang on so much to things we don't wear!!!) is that there are millions of the equivalent thing out there still. Unless it's a sentimental item like a gift from someone or something you wore to a life-changing occasion, I am positive that you can always replace things that you once had or got rid of. It's ok! Nothing is ever as bad as it seems with the coming and going of clothes. The only bad thing is the faux pas in some of the styling some people have in wearing them! Hah!!

Now you know what I'm going to say next.....if you swapped your clothes and beautiful frocks, none of this pickle would be an issue now would it?! I'll be bringing you some awesome swapping sites for other things in the future, so we can all add to this fabulous idea of recycling our wardrobe...saving us money, time, being amazing to the environment and keeping us ladies looking and feeling great! 

Any further tips I can help you with just contact me directly and I'll be happy to help! Even a home visit to help you in person!

Happy swishing ladies!
B
www.londonfrockexchange.com

No comments:

Post a Comment