Wednesday 23 October 2013

Accessorise Moi! The Acceptable Accessorising Manual!

I love jewellery! Fact! I am constantly seeking out new and wonderfully sparkly, chunky, delicate, big, small, feathery, gold, colouful, beaded gems. You name it, I find it! 

Now we all have our Primani bits, Claire's and charity shop finds (NEVER EARRINGS THOUGH PLEASE!) but we should also have our real silver and gold special jewels as well, and if you're lucky enough a few diamonds too! There's nothing more classy than a gentle plain silver bangle and decent watch. 

I am insanely lucky as since my 18th birthday I have been given a silver something every year. You can imagine the difficulty I have day to day which one or ones to wear! I love wearing about 5 silver bracelets on one wrist together. From the chain chunky ones to the simple thin bangle, it looks fun and rich and classy. 

So...what are the top tips for wearing accessories? As I have started with jewellery, I shall go on, coming to bags and hats after.

Jewellery

Less is more...only sometimes! I love wearing as many bits as I can. That's just me, but generally if you are wearing something formal (a work outfit or a ball gown for example) keep the jewels on the down low. Wear a simple diamond pair of earrings or small silver studs, a watch or one spectacular bracelet.

Rules...only pick two places to wear your jewellery: Ears and neck. Neck and wrist. Ears and wrist. Ears and neck. 

This reduces the clutter and over-kill of your gems.

Now if you are going out, party time, down-time or casual...this is when you can go wild. I wear big chunky necklaces, sometimes two at the same time with ridiculous amounts of bracelets...usually on both wrists. Because my style is quite outrageous, I can get away with this but if you're more gentle with your style, tone it down with a few less pieces.

At the moment I am loving wearing one very long dangly earring. It has feathers all over it and comes down past my neck. Lush! I wear a spiky earring in the other ear, no necklace as it would be too much fuss around my neckline. Then I pop on a few black sparkly beaded bracelets and add a massive bow ring on the same hand.

The thing to remember is that you can put anything on as long as the colours and style fit your outfit. If your style of the day is a little grungy - black leather, tight skinny jeans, booties, go with edgy punky jewellery too. If you're meeting the girls for brunch on a Sunday after a night out, and you've bunged on your tracky bums and a cute hoody, just add some big silver hooped earrings and a watch. For party time, add as much bling as you want...but keeping to the two places rule.....no necklace, earring AND bracelet wearing please!

Bags

This is totally self-explanatory really. The bigger the better in my opinion! Ha! No, what I mean is if like me, you take everything but the kitchen sink in your bag, invest in a decent good quality leather bag for everyday. One preferably with an easy opening. When I am rushing out and about, I need to fit my make-up essentials, tissues, maybe an extra pair of ballet pumps, wallet, hair brush, water bottle, iPad and diary. Large bag!

I bought my classic Russell & Bromley about ten years ago. Yes it was a few hundred pounds, but it's lasted, it will never go out of fashion and it looks as good as new...well better I think as the leather is softer and more classic looking now!

As with my shoes, I do have way too many bags but we only really need three! Our everyday handbag, our over-night/going-away-for-a few-nights bag and a classic clutch bag for going out - datenight, dancing with the girls, a wedding etc.

Hats

Now this bit is tricky. You either are or you aren't the type of person that can get away with wearing a hat. And you know who you are! But the general gist to looking fab in a hat is...

If like me you have shorter hair above the neck line, bobble hats and large skater hats (the ones that flop at the back) are a big no-no. Stick to beret style hats, little bowlers, pork pie hats, fedoras and fur Cossack styles.

For ladies with luscious longer locks, you can pretty much wear all types of hat....perhaps leave the ones with added bunny and teddy ears on the shelf in the shop though!

With Warmest Swishes,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment